Derby and Derbyshire SCB Logo

Derby and Derbyshire Safeguarding Children Boards' Procedures Manual

Reporting Concerns

If you are concerned about a child's welfare or worried they are being abused, you should make a referral to Children's Social Care.

More information on how to make a referral can be found in the procedure for Making a Referral to Social Care.

The Derby City and Derbyshire Thresholds Document (in Documents Library, Guidance Documents) contains information on how to respond most appropriately to concerns about children and young people.


What to do if you're worried a child is being abused: Advice for Practitioners (Department for Education)

In Derby City

Where an urgent response is required, contact the First Contact Team.

In a non-urgent situation, referrals can be made via submission of an Early Help Assessment, or equivalent assessment, to the weekly Vulnerable Child meeting (VCM) in the relevant locality (direct to the Single Point of Access Clerk in the locality).

The Derby Children's Social Care Referral Form can be found in the Documents Library (Report Forms and Templates).

In Derbyshire

Referrals can be made by telephone to Starting Point or online at